Friday, July 11, 2003

DREAM TEAM of the Millenium?

I'm a little fixated on sports today. I apologize.

So the Lakers, the Yankees (boo! hiss!) of basketball, have managed to put together an enviable, and likely unbeatable lineup. Shaq, Kobe, Gary Payton and Karl Malone. Maybe they can get Michael Jordan to come out of retirement again. Or Charles Barkley. Why not get every aging player that's never won a championship on this team?

While I would like to see the Mailman and Mr. Payton get rings, I sure wish they weren't going to do it with the Lakers.

I used to love the Lakers. Ask me anything about the Showtime Lakers-- Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Cooper, Byron Scott, James Worthy, etc., and I will gush on and on about how they played beautiful basketball, raised the bar, and managed to be active in the community in really positive ways. These Lakers do movies and hip hop albums and shoe commercials. And I'd have to say that they don't really play as a team either. Everyone's a superstar. I wonder if the Zenmaster can handle it.

No comments: