Tuesday, October 14, 2003

activism

Maybe my dad has something to worry about after all.


Whenever a political event of grand and horrid proportions occurs-- antiwar protests, anti-globalization rallies, etc.--my dad calls me up and asks if I was there. Now it does happen to be the case that I seem to be in the right place at the right time to participate in these protestations (antiwar demonstration in LA in February, the WTO protests in Seattle, DC during the World Bank/IMF meeting), but my locale is always purely coincidental. I have opinions about globalization and war, and generally, I don't think they are good ideas. I don't know if I oppose either enough to feel it necessary to risk getting my head bashed in by overzealous police. I do my protesting on this blog, at the polls, and by donating money to worthy causes. And someday, I hope I'll work on some of the issues I hold dear directly, in the capacity of a policy analyst or advisor or lobbyist or somesuch.

I just signed up to attend the latest Democratic Party Meetup event in Sacto Wednesday night. This runs counter to my armchair activism, but I want to hear what local Democrats think about the direction of the party, how Arnold's election will affect our influence in the state, what we can do to ensure California turns blue in November of 2004, how we can galvanize the mostly liberal (though they deny it) populace and get them interested and involved and to the polls for the primary and the general election. Maybe this is the start of a new era in my life. I also plan to start attending Sierra Club meetings again. I haven't been to one since February or March.

No comments: