Friday, October 17, 2003

Boy Hates Girl - The Shape of Things, Neil LaBute's latest exercise in misanthropy. By David? Edelstein

A converted Mormon?!?!

I just finished watching The Shape of Things, Neil LaBute's latest film about the baser side of human nature. I like his explorations of relationship dynamics, but I never picked up on his own moral judgement of them. I had decided that he must be some kind of neo-Calvinist, as his movies are some kind of new "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" diatribe. But I didn't realize how deep this theme runs with him until I learned he is really a self-righteous Mormon who thinks we're all going to hell for not getting married. Now I have to add him to my list of directors whose material I like even if I disagree with their worldview.

No comments: