Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Fires

The roof is on fire!


My neck of the woods is ablaze. There are three gigantic fires burning in Southern California. Eight thousand fire-fighters are battling these blazes throughout the area.

It is not uncommon to have a few persistent wildfire blazes this time of year. The Santa Ana winds, which have a similar effect on people as the full moon, kick up and fan the flames quickly. But to have 3 massive fires burning all at once? All threatening lives, homes, and dry brittle forests suffering from bark beetle infestations and drought conditions? This is outrageous. Not two weeks ago, as temperatures were cooling, and I was thinking we'd made it through this year with a light fire season.

Here is a satellite image of the fires:


Now, I grew up down there. I have seen many natural disasters. Mudslides, earthquakes, sinkholes in the middle of downtown Los Angeles, tornadoes, massive dust storms, floods. I think this takes the cake.

No comments: