Sunday, October 19, 2003

Skeptic.com

Get up, Stand up


From time to time, I wrestle with a spiritual identity crisis. I have always believed that, like Voltaire said, if God did not exist, man would create him. And being aware of that notion, I find it difficult to believe in a deity, even though I really would like to at times. I guess, I am a skeptic. A friend sent me this link, a discussion of the "Brights". The Brights are an umbrella term for people with a nontheistic view of the universe. Secular humanists, humanists, atheists, agnostics, skeptics, free thinkers, etc. comprise the Brights.

Aside from the obvious implied superiority engendered by such a term as the Brights, their philosophy and approach to social structure and function is very reasonable. I have often thought that a completely naturalistic approach to society is necessary for a society to be truly free and open. As long as the ethical framework for society is based on a particular set of tenets from a religion (e.g. the ten commandments), non-adherents to that religious doctrine will find the ethical basis of the law to be suspect, narrow-minded, counterproductive, and offensive. Therefore, the only way to ensure a truly free and tolerant society is to remove religion from the day-to-day workings of the society itself. That is not to say that people would become amoral, simply that, while their chosen moral code would govern their actions, natural law would govern the state.

No comments: