Friday, November 21, 2003

MJ

Sensational


Well, Michael Jackson was booked yesterday on suspicion of child molestation. The worst part about this is that I will have to look at his absurd image on a regular basis.



In other news, my cat just avoided puking on the carpet. It is both amusing and a little sad to watch a cat puke. My cat starts making wheezing noises and swiveling her head from side to side. Eventually she either yaks up a hairball or she just stops.

Last night Alice, Amelie, Amanda and I watched two very excellent movies: Y Tu Mama Tambien and Igby Goes Down. Y Tu Mama Tambien is a coming of age story about two friends and their sexual awakening at the hands of an experienced older woman. Igby Goes Down was an update on Catcher in the Rye, and an indictment of wealthy upper-class society.

Blockbuster, self-appointed cultural sanitizer, took the liberty of editing Y Tu Mama Tambien of all its sex scenes. Now, while I do not need to see young boys have sex with an older woman, I do need to know what the hell happened if it relates to the plot. Why doesn't Blockbuster rent uneditied versions of controversial films? I understand the need to keep them out of the hands of younger viewers, but that is easily solved, for the most part. Keep the racier versions off the shelf and only rent them, as requested, to people over 18. Obviously, that won't prevent intrepid high school students from getting their hands on the unrated version, but it would keep little kids out of the mix. Besides, it's not like high school kids are all that innocent. I hate Blockbuster and Wal-Mart for their censorship--as if I can't myself choose what is worthy of my time and money.

No comments: