Tuesday, November 11, 2003

no time for the jibba jabba

Got no time for the jibba jabba!


It's guilt time here at my work. For one week a year, we have a funding drive for our foundation. You are a greedy bastard if you don't give to the foundation, which purports to spend the money either on an organization as designated by you, or to worthy organizations in the community.

I don't live in the same community as the people I work with. So if I were to give them leave to spend my money, it would get spent in Placer County. Not sure if you know this, but I despise Placer County. It's one half rich elitists and one half redneck hicks. No thanks. I will give my money to people in my community.

The problem with this attitude is that there is an expectation that everyone will contribute. Company pride rests on collecting more loot than in previous years. So they have all these events, which everyone thinks gives them license to not work.

As a result, a rather raucous conversation is taking place outside my cube as if no one has any work to get done. Hello? The cube wall? Is not really a wall. Shut up or go somewhere else!