Tuesday, November 25, 2003

unsettled

Unsettled


I just got some disconcerting news. My dad is going to Alabama for Thanksgiving. He was just there in October. My aunt sent him a ticket because my grandmother wanted everyone home. Last Tuesday was my grandmother's mammogram appointment. As you may recall, a large lump was found in her breast at her last physical. I have since come across an article detailing just how often black women have large breast cancers, and it is something like three times the frequency of white women. Of course, this is mostly the result of access issues. In any case, she didn't bring the issue up when my cousin spoke to her last week. But as I'm not "in the know" with regards to the inner workings of my dad's side of the family, I don't know how much the elders discuss illness with the young'uns. On my mom's side, I know the intimate details of my grandmother's diagnostic tests, including a barium enema and endoscopy. Sexy.

No comments: