Saturday, November 01, 2003

walk, cause it's fall

Autumn strolls & girls against boys


I went for a really long walk this morning. It was so invigorating, because the temperature has dropped 35 degrees in the last 4 days and the air is cool and sharp, just the way I like it. I went by the library to return some books that I never read and CDs to which I hardly listened. I am notorious for that. When I was a little girl, I thought it amazing that I was allowed to check out 30 books from the library at a time, so I made a point of having 30 selections out at all times, damn the fact that I couldn't read them all. Now I do the same exact thing, except that often, I actually pay for all the books I'll never finish. Sometimes, I wonder why I have this feverish need to read everything, to know everything. It never helps. I'm still a big insecure bundle of neuroses a majority of the time anyway. Most of the time I just accept that it's my nature to be so.

On my way home I stopped by this intriguing cafe by my place. It's called A La Carte, and it offers Java n' Justice and complementary medicine. I love the idea of the bundling of these services. Basically, it is a cafe where the baristas are also lawyers, and there's a physician that specializes in homeopathy and acupuncture. All chicks run this place. Go chicks!

I saw a great movie last night at Amelie's. The Fabulous Stains is a riot grrl movie that the White Stripes clearly took their inspiration from. It was a skewering of the media, the music industry and society in general, but it still managed to create memorable characters and make you think.

What do you think it means that the Gender Genie-- found on Ben's blog-- thinks my posts are decidedly male? Here I think I'm baring my soul to the ether and apparently I'm emotionally detached and informational. What the fuck is that all about?

This irks me also because it makes these distinctions as if informational writing is solely the domain of men, and relational writing is the purview of women. What, women can't be informative? Women can only mull an idea from their own perspective, only phrase an idea in personal terms? If so, I can certainly see where communication differences between men and women could cause serious problems.

An adequate example of this, it could be argued, is found in a critique of Lakoff's discussion of political rhetoric framing that Forest informed me of this morning. And it got me to thinking....is there a pattern here?

No comments: