Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Rat Race Recast: Bloggy-style


I'm a relative blog-newbie, but I think I jumped on the bandwagon at the beginning of the curve, not at the top. I'm too lazy to research. Suffice it to say that I thought getting an average of 50 hits a day was decent work for a hobby.

With the blog explosion, to borrow from the service I've just joined, it occurs to me that now I have pressure to perform. This must be what it feels like to be a man. I started doing this to have fun, to keep my friends informed about my life, to make some new bloggy buddies, and to get my thoughts down in one place. Over time, I've noticed that blogging has its benefits and detriments, not the least of which is that it further exacerbates my tendency toward free-associative thinking.

However, now there are all sorts of tracking mechanisms, link exchanges, and other tools designed to make me feel inferior and inadequate. Like, why am I only a Flippery Fish in the TTLB ecosystem and not a Large Mammal? I used to be an insignificant microbe when I was doing my best work. Just goes to show that talent and success are not causally related. On blogsnob, I never get any referrals. I see the links of people who I'm linked to already on the snob. I don't have that many links. Maybe I'm a bad blogger because I choose not to blogroll. I did at one time and it made my site ridiculously s-l-o-w t-o l-o-a-d.

And while we're on the subject of templates, mine is so limited it looks like an HTML site from 1997. I know better but I can't be bothered. Where's my message board? Who am I kidding? I don't say enough to warrant a message board, unless you want to discuss shoe size, heartburn, eugenics and ion-selective electrode theory. These are the things I think about right now. So I'm sorry for not being a better blogger for you, my darling readers. I am doing the best I can, which Thom Yorke says is good enough.

No comments: