Tuesday, November 16, 2004

clarinet arrives

Just call me Benny...


I rushed out to Kline Music today to pick up the erstwhile carpet beetle-infested clarinet. The repair guy didn't have much to say about the instrument, but he was with a customer when I arrived. Oddly, the door to the repair shop insists that you not knock first, just come on in. However, once on the other side of the door, I felt as if I was intruding. And the speed with which I was hustled up to the front certainly indicated as much.

I bought three reeds, because I wasn't sure what strength I would need, as I haven't played in about 10 years. I got a 1 1/2, 2, and 2 1/2. I popped in the 1.5 when I got home and doodled up and down the scale. Tone isn't what it was, but it's promising. My breathing and articulation appear to be relatively intact. I can't get into the upper register to save my life. That's probably partly due to the fact that I was playing with such a soft reed. It's virtually impossible to play the super-high notes without at least a 3 reed. I wish I'd thought to buy some music and a fingering chart, because I don't remember where all the notes are, nor do I remember any songs. Except, of course, Air on the G string, of which I remember the first four bars or so.

I am thinking about trying to make pop music with this clarinet. Should be interesting. Don't ask me when I'll find the time. It will appear, somehow.

No comments: