Friday, November 12, 2004

good reads

Guy Stuff Plug


Is everyone reading Guy Stuff? It's a very good read. I've helped facilitate the addiction of several people. If you haven't given it a shot so far, have a look.

Some lines from the latest chapter, to pique your interest:

    Ony a few other people were waiting for the train in the half-lit gloom: an elderly Asian couple, a young guy in a baseball hat and leather jacket, and a middle aged black guy strumming some blues on a battered electric guitar. I took out my wallet and checked the contents: two dollars. The black guy had put out an old derby hat in front of him; I added one of my dollars to the few quarters that lay at the bottom.

    “Bless you, brother,” he said.

    “Hey, I need the karma,” I said.

    “Then may the circle treat you right,” he said, smiling.

    “Hope so,” I said.

    “You give to homeless guys a lot,” said Emily as I rejoined her.

    “I do when they’re adding something,” I said. “Guys who are just sitting there, usually not. He’s playing not-bad blues.”

    “They’re not-good blues, also,” she said.

    “True,” I said. “But it’s the holidays.”


I need to find some good, relateable, interesting fiction. I usually read the classics, and find myself focused on things beyond the characters. But a really good character-driven read is all I want right now. I was thinking about Kristin Gore's book, which, judging from the excerpt, looks promising. But you, dear readers, are always an unequaled font of knowledge. Read any good books lately?

No comments: