Monday, November 22, 2004

it's not right, just 'cause you say it's right

Whirlwind Weekend Recap


First off, this weekend I rediscovered the fact that I am not a genius. I couldn't grasp the process for solving my Econ homework. I couldn't even articulate it to my group so that one of them could piggyback off what I was saying! What the hell am I doing writing science and perhaps math curriculum if I can't even explain shit?

So Saturday, I worked on my NCLB paper. Printed out a bajillion pieces of nonsense. Tried to piece together a discussion of the knitty-gritty particulars of the legislation. Failed to get much data on charter schools. I know it's out there. I'm looking in the wrong places and frankly, I'm exhausted. I need one more day before turning in the rough draft to the prof. No such luck, so I suppose I'll try to cram info into some sort of format today, while I'm supposed to be working. Every moment that I wasn't doing something else, I was dealing with this paper. However, I did do many other things.

Those other things included a moderately successful dinner party, attended by Niki-n-Leon, Ian-n-Amanda, Chris, and Suresh. We ate yummy food and drank mulled wine. At one point it got so windy that the smoke from the fire could no longer make it out the chimney, and began billowing out the front of the fireplace. We're still airing out from that one. After finishing dinner, people cleared out, some for Katy's Hella Drunk Game Night, others for the Knock Knock/Bright Ideas/Knightmares show at Old Ironsides. I attended the latter. The Bright Ideas are fucking great! You should check them out sometime. They may be giving Munia some competition for favorite Sacramento band status.

I came home after the show and worked on the paper yet again. Had a little pity party for myself by the dying fire later on as regards my permanent single status. Not really sure what to do about that, don't really want advice currently either.

Yesterday morning I got up and, of course, worked on that bloody paper. Then I went to the Naked Lounge to knit. I started my orchid-colored cardigan. It's pretty and I hope I make it right. The yarn is hard to knit with, but I think it will be okay in the end. I learned that some people like the purple sacindiestitch logo and some don't. The crocheters wonder why their craft isn't reprsented. I promised more logos soon. I attempted to learn how to crochet a granny square, but I don't think I understand the mechanics of it. Got to go back to basics first. I want to make a pattern for a skirt.

After working on the paper, and visiting with peeps at kickball for a moment, I headed over to Cafe Melange for more knitting. The evening drew out people for whom the combination "sunday morning" does not exist. Melange is cozy and less crowded than Naked Lounge in the morning. Maybe I will try changing to the evening group. I personally can't attend everything. Sometimes, I have papers to write.

Speaking of which, I'm done with a very rough draft of a portion. Finished at 7:20AM.

No comments: