Monday, November 15, 2004

Technology Review: Plastic Cuts Artificial Hip Wear

More Artificial, Less Filling


I'm trying to broaden my reach of topics discussed on this blog. It has recently been brought to my attention that I'm "too political" for some. Part of me can't see how this is possible, considering what I want to do with my life, what I'm going to school for, etc. However, I can certainly take note of a certain fatigue that many may be prone to in the days following the election. Leading up to the "Worst Day of My Life, Part Deux," I was helpless to concentrate on much else. Now that I'm squirrelling away acorns for the winter of my discontent, I can also turn my mind to other pursuits, like assistive medical technology. The only problem with this new approach, as far as I can see, is that I know more about politics than most other things, and therefore I will be less able to write at length about my topics. This might be a good thing.

For today, I'm intrigued by a new artificial hip joint. As one who will no doubt need a knee and hip replacement in the future, I appreciate these strides in making the technology friendlier to the body and longer-lasting. I've been told in the past that doctors are often unwilling to perform knee replacement surgery until a person is of a certain advanced age because, essentially, they only want to do it once. I'm hoping to someday have an entire skeleton made of new polymers. The skeleton I got isn't so comfortable a lot of the time.

No comments: