Friday, December 10, 2004

Bell Motivator Cycling Trainer

Before January


The other day in the mail I received a mailing from the illustrious Capital Athletic Club. I have considered joining in the past, but what I've heard of the membership fees has led me to avoid it. It's a shame, really, because I love belonging to a nice gym. I have some kind of built-in snobby killswitch when it comes to gyms. I can't be ultilitarian about it at all. If it looks cheap and/or dirty, don't expect me to remain a member for long. I was spoiled, in college, by the incredibly affordable student rates offered by Evanston Athletic Club, which was the best gym I've ever belonged to. Everyone on the staff was friendly and knowledgeable, and the clientele was a mix of city residents and students running the gamut from gym newbies to obsessive spinning enthusiasts. There was such a sense of camaraderie at EAC. I miss it.

Since California believes a decent gym at a decent price is something akin to a singularity which would cause the universe to collapse, anything I would like to belong to is out of my price range. I have resigned myself to creating a collection of exercise machines in my home, though one could argue that the price I pay to buy these things outright exceeds the price I would pay in the gym. You'd be wrong, given my not-so-secret desire to see Arnold at the Capital. (I must admit, Arnold fascinates me.)

The elliptical trainer I bought this summer has proven painful for me to use for any extended period of time. One of these days I will enumerate all its design flaws and send a letter to the company that makes it. And post my complaints to any review site who will listen.

My latest idea is that I should buy a cycling trainer. Obviously, I would need a new seat for my bike, because the one I have is simply an implement of torture. I just think I might be more inclined to ride it if I didn't have to go outside all the time. I could sit on it and ride while studying. That could be a good way to manage time.

No comments: