Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Anyone for tennis?

Phase one of my fitness plan is relatively complete. I'm stronger, healthier, have increased my lung capacity and my knee strength. It's a complete 180 since this time last year, when my good cholesterol was low and my bad high, my blood pressure was in the mild hypertension range and I was 30 pounds overweight, fat-wise. I haven't reached my goal weight, but I feel like it's close.

So now that I've regained enough muscle strength to stabilize my joints, I'm ready to increase the intensity of my workouts. One of my long-term goals has been to get back into shape to the degree where I can play a set of tennis. I sense that tennis's popularity is about to enjoy an upswing, after having lost its edge to golf. I'm not suggesting that it will overtake golf, but I think it will enjoy a renaissance. And I intend to be part of it.

As such, I'm in search of a decent partner, someone who can return a ball reliably but doesn't feel the need to hit a winner or a kick serve at every opportunity. Rehab tennis, if you will. I also need to figure out how one gets a court at McKinley Park. In the morning, preferably. There are evening adult classes, but I am simply not equipped to play at 6:30. Too hot.

No comments: