Monday, May 07, 2007

Pet Overpopulation

My weekend with overpopulation began innocently enough. I took a friend home on Friday night and met a stray cat that's been living in her apartment building, being fed by various residents, including her. This cat reminded me of a passage from Tailchaser's Song, in which a wild cat meets a domestic one and assumes he's female because he's neutered.

I don't remember the last time I encountered an intact male cat. But this cat was definitely not neutered, and a fighting tom as a result. He's white, incredibly dirty, and is currently sporting a blood-red scab on his neck. We ought to corral him and get him fixed, at the very least.

Saturday morning, Savvy called me with a request to collect a female cat and her kittens from underneath a bush outside her parents' house. After extracting the kittens from the bush, I reached in to pull out the mama cat--barely out of kittenhood herself, completely domesticated and clearly somebody's cat until recently--and promptly got my arm lacerated by the small but sharp branches of this particular shrub. We managed to get the cats back to Savvy's house and sneak the crew into the basement, where we hope they will remain undiscovered by the dogs.

The kittens can't be sent to the shelter until they're weaned, and are only two weeks old at the moment. They are incredibly cute and I'm certain that there will be no problem adopting them out, but if you know of anyone who would like a slightly older cat that has Maine Coon markings, let me know. Adult cats are very hard to find homes for.

And if you have a non-neutered or spayed cat, consider getting them fixed at a low-cost spay/neuter clinic.

No comments: