Friday, June 29, 2007

Busy as a really busy bee!

Once upon a time, there was a show on KUOW called Rewind. It was a weekly news show staffed by Seattle media personalities and hosted by Bill Radke, and it was damn funny. You can hear some remnants of the show on Radke's latest offering, Weekend America.

Rewind featured sketches that Weekend America lacks, and this loss is unfortunate. One such sketch featured a gentleman who struggled to comprehend the nature of a metaphor or simile. When his friends would ask him how he was doing, he would reply that he was "as busy as a...guy who's really busy!"

As such, he was persuaded to go to simile school, where he learned to construct flawed metaphors like the title of this post. I wish I had a recording of that bit-- it was brilliant, particularly for language mavens.

This anecdote is brought to you by the fact that yours truly is a really busy bee--too much so to finish my reviews of Waitress and Mysterious Skin, or to tell you about my plans for summer and fall, except to say it's like nothing I've ever done before.

I'm looking forward to the weekend.

No comments: