Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Fat Pig

I like theatre, but I never go out of my way to view any. I hear Sacramento has a great theatre scene that is highly underutilized.

For once, I'm going to shake myself out of my typical gym-to-coffeehouse-to-pub-to-work treadmill routine and make an effort to check out the production of a stage play from Neil LaBute. LaBute is a fascinating writer. He is a Mormon convert turned disfellowed turned ex-Mormon, and all of his work deals with the unethical, unpleasant, dark and amoral elements of human nature. Some are funnier than others, but all are really interesting meditations on the role of society in mediating power, courteousness and compassion.

As such, I will be figuring out how to see Fat Pig on the Delta King sometime in the next month. If anyone wants to join me, let me know. A good interview with the director and main actors was featured on Insight yesterday.

No comments: