Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Crazy week


I'm so busy I don't have time to think. So what did I do this morning?

Go shopping of course. How else am I to demonstrate my patriotism than by keeping my end of the economy-supporting consumer spending bargain.

The next six months of my life will be jam-packed. My job ended this past Friday. Don't worry though, I've got plenty to keep me occupied. In fact, I've done nothing but work since then.

I have some thoughts about the separation from my old organization, however. First, my company didn't do a very good job of making sure I had all the information I needed to file for unemployment and they didn't tell me about how to transfer my retirement money, or if I needed to or could leave it there, etc. They didn't, however, waste any time telling me that my COBRA was going to be over $800 a month. For little ole me, all by myself with fairly good health and no dependents. And it's not even a decent plan, really. The one I had at my old company was much better. Not only that, but I can't for the life of me figure out how the number listed on my compensation summary regarding how much they spent on me in a year corresponds to this $800+. As far as I can tell, I'm paying whoever the administrator is about 35% on top of the actual cost of coverage.

And that is downright retarded. Of course, I opted not to pay for it. So I have short-term insurance through my alumni association (thank goodness for NU perks!).

Arnold spoke of one of my pet issues with regard to employer-sponsored health care last week, calling the phenomenon of people staying in jobs for fear of losing health coverage "job-lock." Don't I know it. Benefits are often the reason I don't leave jobs.

Speaking of my old jobs, I went out to Roseville yesterday to visit with my old coworkers. It was an insane reunion, lots of fun. They're getting into developing legislation and lobbying legislators. All in the service of science education. It's a mostly altruistic endeavor that has the potential to revolutionize the state's approach to science education. So I'm keeping in touch with the PM in charge of the project. I can't help but wish that they'd let me do some of that when I was there. C'est la vie, right?

No comments: