Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Ga Ga Ga Ga GOOOOOD!


That's cheesy, isn't it?

I don't really care. Today is the official release of the new Spoon joint, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. I got my pre-ordered copy last week. I have already memorized all the lyrics.

The songs on this album are bigger and richer than those on their last (also fantastic) effort, Gimme Fiction. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga has a 60s pop sensibility (my very favorite kind of sensibility), and lots of horns and keyboards (and as always, handclaps--and who doesn't love handclaps?). Which is to say that it is a lot like the 2001 album that sort of re-launched the band after being mistreated by Elektra, Girls Can Tell. Only it incorporates more from the generally agreed-upon masterpiece, Kill the Moonlight.

Standouts on this album are the line from Don't Make me a Target "For nuclear dicks with their dialect drawls," the slide bassline on Rhythm and Soul, absolutely everything about The Underdog, and the fact that Don't You Evah is ripe for a Michel Gondry video.

No comments: