Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ode to Pansy Parkinson

Last night at Downtown Plaza, the crowd consisted largely of teenagers. They are so teched out relative to my high school peers. It's kind of freaky, as if there's less and less common about high school experiences as time goes by (aside from the obvious drive to be bad and deal with hormones, of course). I am a youth culture enthusiast. I think it's important to stay up on it if one is a) planning on having kids, and/or b) interested in social reforms. Fortunately, we still have literature to keep us together.

The movie-goers directly in front of me had opted to dress up for this momentous occasion. I saw Snape and what I think was supposed to be Hermione. I noted a few others who seemed simply to relish the opportunity to don unconventional gear outside of a Renaissance Fair environment.

I noted both at the Harry & the Potters show and at the movie theatre that some kids are definitely drawn to the Slytherin crowd, and I think I would like to request that Pam and Anthony consider a production of "Slytherin Girl,". You could put it on the next Wizard Rock compilation.

Also, I would like to start a project to make the HP books more accessible to literary snobs like Harold Bloom. I concede the fact that the HP books suffer from a great preponderance of idiomatic expressions and cliches, but I think the characters and the richness of the world in which they live overcome any stylistic issues. However, for those who cannot suspend their inner English teacher, I propose rewriting the books in the style of our greatest writers: Chaucer, Shakespeare, Woolf, Faulkner, Hemmingway, Morrison, Richard Wright, Thomas Hardy, Dostoevsky, etc.

No comments: