Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Some movies

I saw some movies, aside from HP 5, over the past week.

Last Wednesday, I saw Transformers. I liked it. It was ridiculously fun in the way Terminator 2 was fun, though it made no sense and had way too many shots of Megan Fox's midriff. However, I give kudos to M. Bay for including hotties Josh Duhamel and Tyrese Gibson so that the ladies had eye candy too. It was also pretty funny, by way of a 12 yo boy's sense of humor. I think if you entered the theatre expecting a Bryan Singer-style rendition (which would have been so amazing, and really he should adapt every childhood icon we hold dear), you would leave a bit disappointed. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I suspect Stephen Spielberg's hand kept this production from getting out of.

But then again, if SS had had more influence, we could have done with more of a Close Encounters of the Third Kind vibe. They are aliens, after all. All plot issues aside, the movie was damn well-done, visually. Not once did I have occasion to critique the CGI. My brain simply accepted that these robots were walking around, picking people up, hiding under bridges, clinging to the sides of skyscrapers, etc.


Last night I saw a lovely little movie called Paris, Je T'aime. It is a series of vignettes by different directors, all set in Paris and having to do with various elements of love, the city acting as a foil and a backdrop. Each vignette is set in a different arrondissement, and the transitions between each are nearly seamless.

The cast of directors and actors is deep, including Maggie Gyllenhaal, Elijah Wood, Steve Buscemi, Natalie Portman, Gena Rowlands, Juliette Binoche, Willem Dafoe, Emily Mortimer, and many more. Contributing directors included Gurinder Chadha, Gus Van Sant, Sylvain Chomet, Wes Craven and the Coen brothers.

It was at the Crest, but I think I saw the very last showing. If not, I highly recommend it. Nearly every vignette was so well-developed. One in particular I found very powerful. Watching this movie, especially Alexander Payne's contribution, makes me think I really should have gone to France for my birthday. C'est la vie. There's always next year.

This song closes the film. I sure do love Feist's voice:

powered by ODEO

No comments: