Thursday, August 23, 2007

Cheesy goodness

My friend E. is my Irish connection to music I've got no time to research. Usually, I'll hear music at the pub and if I don't know who it is (because the boys tend to like stuff I'm well-versed in-- Billy Bragg, old soul music, Slackers and Hepcat, old country music and punk rock), it's usually E. on tap, playing some dispatch from across the pond. The most recent earworm I discovered through her is Mika.

I'm tempted to say that if you like Queen, the Beatles, Prince, Elton John and the Scissor Sisters (all of which I love), then you will probably dig Mika. I especially equate his voice with Freddie Mercury's.

Perhaps it's not entirely fair to title this post "cheesy." Mika's sound is big and layered and full of piano parts reminiscent of Elton John's greatest hits, but there's hints of Hunky Dory-era Bowie on a few tracks. And he does that thing that I love, wherein the pazz and jop belies serious lyrical content.

No comments: