Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I can't think of any others right now but

Noah Baumbach is one of those writer-directors from whom you'd like to see a whole lot more of, and a whole lot sooner.

Okay, I thought of two more: Whit Stillman and Darren Aronofsky. I've been a film-follower of some repute (among pals, at least) since my parents finally bought a VCR and a color teevee in the summer of 1992. Let's just say that Blockbuster made bank on my babysitting money. It was in college that I really got into film (the beauty of going to a big-City school, in some measure, with a bunch of kids who want to make films and write great stories).

These three guys made some way cool films that stood out from the general, and even the indie, fare in the mid-1990s. I will always love Kicking and Screaming for its blazing insight into post-college ennui and all the dust the prospect of graduation kicks up. I liked Baumbach's followup, Mr. Jealousy, too. And when I saw his writing credit on Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, I knew it would be great. The Squid and the Whale impacted me greatly, as it was the catalyst for my epiphany regarding my parents' tortured union.

Whit Stillman hasn't made a movie since the fantabulous Last Days of Disco, which is the movie that truly endeared Chloe Sevigny to me. And while I have yet to see Darren Aronofsky's latest The Fountain, I know that I find his catalogue entirely too short.

I suppose I can comfort myself with the knowledge of a few upcoming projects. Aronofsky is set to direct a boxing movie with Mark Wahlberg and Matt Damon. And Noah Baumbach has an upcoming project entitled Margot at the Wedding which stars Nicole Kidman and Jack Black. I don't know what to make of that.

No comments: