Sunday, September 30, 2007

Knitting update

I had an itch to get new projects on the needles. A little over a week ago, Judy and I picked up a car and went to the east coast version of Michaels, A.C. Moore, among other shopping options. I was on a mission for something and I can't even remember what now. Pants, I think.

At A.C. Moore, we found a bunch of new fiber blends, most notably the SWS from Patons. SWS stands for Soy Wool Solids/Stripes. I bought a skein of each, because I am really surprised by how soft this soy wool blend is to the touch. Another yarn standout was the Bamboo Wool from Moda Dea, but I'm on a budget. I began making a smallish version of the Danica scarf from Knitty, but I'll be relying on the stripes to change the color, rather than working in a third color, as the pattern suggests. So far, so good.


I was, and still am, in search of the yarn for Breton Girl, which I have decided will be my NaKniSweMo project.

It turns out I live near a pretty nice yarn shop on Capitol Hill. I went to Stitch DC yesterday to purchase Knitscene, which contains the Breton Girl pattern. I do have a copy at home, but it's 3,000 miles away. My willpower being nonexistent, I also bought a few skeins of yarn-- Karabella Melange--for god knows what. I guess I'm making up for not buying any yarn all year. In any case, finding a yarn substitution for the Elle Stretch DK yarn called for in Breton Girl is challenging. There's not a lot of DK weight yarn out there, truth be told. Baby yarn is usually a good substitute, but the color selections are often so bland. I was going to make it in a beige with navy stripes, but then I happened across a sparkly black yarn during my online search and I think maybe I will either do that with white, or try to find a pretty mauve-y purple with dark grey stripes. As if beige and navy weren't already very difficult to find.

No comments: