Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A shout-out to Mr. Payne

Mr. Payne was my high school AP US History teacher. He taught me a lot of very important things, like how to use the Internet and how to write a good analytical essay. But I suppose that, given this post from Too Sense on the sorry state of Americans' understanding of the Bill of Rights, that the most important thing he taught me was the value of a fundamental comprehension of the founding documents of our nation.

I loved US History. I got a 5 on the exam and finished it in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. I never took another history course, which makes me a little sad, in retrospect. I learned so much about civics from that class that it provided a deep enough understanding of modern politics and government that I never felt compelled to take anymore classes on it. Which freed me to study everything else under the sun in college.

Until, of course, I decided that I should have majored in government or social policy. But it's too late for that now.

No comments: