Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bug bite trauma

I was bitten by a mosquito last night when I opened the front door for two seconds to check if it was still raining. It was about 8:30PM and felt like mid-August in Chicago outside--hot and muggy. On a potentially related note, an Australian climate change researcher yesterday announced that the upcoming IPCC report will reveal atmospheric greenhouse gas saturation at levels not anticipated for another decade. Which is to say that we are out of time to figure out what to do about climate change, if we are going to do anything proactively. Which, I suspect, we are not.

(Also slightly related, they say H5N1 is mutating to a form more easily transmitted to humans. Which horseman of the apocalypse are we missing?)

So anyway, this mosquito, microscopic as it was, managed to lock into my ankle as I returned to the couch. It must have been disturbed in its efforts to drain me of blood, because it stung like no bite I've ever had before. So badly, in fact, that I had to take ibuprofen this morning because the lower half of my leg was killing me. Even now, after a slathering of neosporin, it is very painful to touch the area around the bite. With my luck, I'll probably end up dying of gangrene like the guy in that Steinbeck story.

No comments: