Thursday, November 01, 2007

A funny thing happened on the way to the office

The train was incredibly late today. I thought I should have taken the bus, but I saw several of the one I normally take arrive at the stop outside my office as I walked from the Metro, so I can only assume that I wouldn't have fared any better in that situation. We waited on the platform for about 15 minutes before finally smooshing into an already-stuffed train, after letting the first sardine can pass.

Had we gotten on that earlier train, had I taken the bus out of exasperation, had we been standing anywhere else on the platform, I wouldn't have run into a guy I know from the pub back home. His wife got a job out here about 6 months ago and he's been trying to transfer (he works for Fish & Wildlife) ever since. So he's here for a month and today is his first day of work. He was standing in the doorway which ended up directly in front of me, so when the doors opened, I saw/heard this tall guy say "Hey Maya." Since I was with the majority of the people I know in this town, I was surprised that I would know anyone on the train. I got his card and we're going to go for drinks sometime soon. So funny how things work out sometimes, isn't it?

No comments: