Sunday, November 11, 2007

La Cucaracha

One of my housemates and I were sitting on the couch, watching "Chicken Run," when she heard a plastic bag on the floor rustling. Leaning over to inspect, she recognized a cockroach. It was HUGE and disgusting. It tried to crawl up the wall and fell on its back. It was about 3 1/2 inches long. We had a discussion about killing it, requested that one of the guy roommates squash it, debated the grossness of squishing such a large bug, and ultimately I sprayed it with Raid.

I'm not accustomed to such vermin. My dad has a pesticide license and would rather sacrifice small mammals than suffer a bug to live. Additionally, I try not to store food in places where bugs might congregate, and I keep the floors mostly clean. Ever since I've lived on my own, roaches haven't been a problem.

I also have a general aversion to squashing bugs. At home, it's because the creepy crawlies I encounter are usually pleasant, like spiders and praying mantises. But here, all manner of really ugly and insanely large bugs wander through the house, no doubt due to the fact that getting eight people to coordinate a chore schedule is about impossible.

No comments: