Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Makes it all worthwhile?

So, I've vacillated as to the value of my time in DC. I think it's because I'm *still* traumatized by some recent professional experiences. I don't think I realized how significantly I was affected until a few weeks ago, when I saw another friend with a window on the situation, and all these unresolved issues bubbled up. If you've known me for any length of time, you're aware of my struggle with anger management. I happen to think I've gotten better recently, and I consider these outbursts as opportunities to learn, rather than to indulge in railing against injustice.

I acknowledge my culpability, and I suspect that one of the things I really wanted to get from this fellowship was a restoration of faith in myself. Not one to take criticism lightly, my less than ideal reception from a person who matters the other day was naturally hard to take. But the problem was educational, despite my frustration. In any case, I'm out of time to do anything stellar here. I'm essentially trying to wrap up and really more focused on my thesis and packing up (and going to see Yo La Tengo in Hoboken on Friday). However, I have a better idea of what I can do to address my shortcomings with respect to work in general, and I am better at holding myself accountable when I fuck up. So that is valuable, regardless of anything else.

And, it's snowing today, which is way cool. Have a look at the lovely animated short film, The Snowman, and remember how nice and simple life was in 1982, if you happen to be under 40 or so. I love this little movie.

No comments: