Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008: A year of career and personal development

I hope everyone had a great new year's eve. I kept mine low-key, celebrating British New Year at the pub (at 4PM), dinner at the Trattoria Bohemia with a friend, followed by a nice chat with another friend. I watched the ball drop from my couch and then went back to working on my thesis, which I want to finish but am beginning to despair of ever completing.

Of course, I can't let the first day of the new year pass without at least a little resolution-making. I've been decent at completing my lists over the past few years, but I'm trying not to indulge so much in obsessive listmaking. I came across this post at Productivity Cafe, which suggests that, instead of making new year's resolutions, one should consider a thematic approach to habit change in the new year.

I'd been thinking about this myself, while at the same time trying to come up with something Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. Because that's how goals are supposed to be structured. The thematic approach probably won't entirely preclude lists, but at least they will reside in a coherent framework rather than being a list of disjointed goals.

I'm still keeping one resolution: Eat more dark green leafy vegetables.

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is happy, healthy, prosperous and has a lot of fun in the coming months!

No comments: