Saturday, January 26, 2008

My world shrinks

I've lived in eight different cities, give or take, in my life. Since I've been the one in charge of my comings and goings, I've lived in five major metropolitan areas, and I always look at these transitions as the times in which to make big changes. It's as if the move and subsequent lack of a reputation is freeing. I can, theoretically, choose not to carry my neuroses along with me to the next locale. Generally, I succeed in doing this, to some degree, at first. However, I never seem to fail to regress. And though there's not much that's truly embarrassing in my past, I like to keep boundaries between now and what's come before. Which, as I mentioned in my previous post, is getting harder to do as my networks expand and people connected to my past lives keep coming back into it.

I've always drawn the line at high school. I am not a fan of the town where I grew up. I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that is. Aside from running into one high school friend's little sister briefly last winter, I haven't seen much from that place since living here. But last night, I met a guy who graduated from my high school in 1970. At my friends' house. My network, it is big, but still so small.

No comments: