Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Reflecting

Hmmm. How to talk in code without not saying anything? The new job is fun so far. As far as thinking things through and getting a feel for issue area, I believe I'm doing reasonably well. It's doing it quickly that's eluding me. That's always what eludes me.

Earlier today I was sharing some details of the past five years of my life, and I've been thinking that when I decided to go to grad school, I put most other aspects of my life on hold. Not the little things--I have picked up and dropped several unhealthy habits, including whining all the time (really, truly, I'm better about it than I used to be), and I've been doing daily things that are healthy for me, and I've made some good friends in that time, but the big milestones have gone largely unrealized, and even escaped much contemplation. I put them on hold and didn't give them much thought. My friends have gotten married, had a kid or two, moved several times, bought houses and cars--all I've done is finally get my own apartment and focus on grad school. I guess I could put some pressure on myself to move in that general direction myself, now that school's practically out of the way. I'm woefully out of practice, though, and expectations are that I'd be more determined in my path toward those normal stages of life. (My grandmother in particular would appreciate this.)

I'm not though. I've been a bit of a late bloomer or something like that. Just so long as this is the last go-round for such fits and starts, I think that's okay. I feel fairly ready to actually make something of my life now.

No comments: