Friday, January 25, 2008

School Daze

Living in Sac, I'd pretty much accepted that I would rarely, if ever meet any Northwestern alumni. I've run into a few folks who attended grad school there, and some much older alums, but only one person who graduated during the time I attended.

So imagine my surprise when a guy approached me last night and asked if I went to NU. (It was sort of obvious, as I was wearing my big purple sweatshirt, emblazoned with large white letters.) Not surprisingly, this gentleman hails from the school of journalism; he actually referred to himself as a Medilldo (an expression I never heard a Medill enrollee use in regards to themselves while I was in school). My contemporary was also journalism major, though he has since transitioned from newspaper to government work, and is following me into the public policy realm.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. If there's a program that flings NU grads to unconventional (read: not sexy) locales, it's the journalism school. Every town has a newspaper, many have television stations, and there are a lot of radio stations to work for. The dude I met works at the public radio station--not a bad gig when you think about it.

When I meet NU folks from the College of Arts & Sciences, then I will know that Sacramento has arrived.

No comments: