Sunday, February 03, 2008

A chronicle

In my lifelong quest to be an effective and organized human being, I'm going to follow the advice of the many productivity bloggers over whose overly simplistic writing I obsess and attempt to create an editorial schedule for my blog. Though these bloggers recommend not only an editorial schedule, but also specific topics for each day (like when I used to do FriTunes until I got the cease and desist letter from Apple (not really)), I am not going to hamstring myself. I'm far too spontaneous and way too busy to stick to a particular subject for a given day of the week. I am, however, going to be focusing a lot of my writing on my health and fitness BHAG. I am telling you this now so I keep myself honest. It is one of the virtues of publicly displaying every aspect of my life; on some level I feel like I am holding myself more accountable than I would otherwise.

Today, I am going to tell you about the ABS DIET POWER foods, which form the basis of the Abs Diet for Women. ABS DIET POWER is an acronym that stands for

Almonds (and other nuts)
Beans
Spinach and other green vegetables

Dairy, low-fat
Instant oatmeal
Eggs
Turkey and other lean meats

Peanut butter, all-natural
Olive oil
Whole grains
Extra protein, whey
Raspberries and other berries

Over my many years of obsession with diet and exercise, I have come to believe that this is exactly the sort of diet that most folks should eat. However, I have two quibbles with this particular mix of foods. First, the Instant Oatmeal. I despise oatmeal. My mother didn't feed it to me until I was in first grade, after years of consuming only cream of wheat and Malt O'Meal, which are of a much finer consistency than oatmeal. Oatmeal is gloppy and disgusting. My feelings on this matter are fixed and unchanging; I cannot make myself enjoy the mixture no matter what. My other food quibble is also related to texture and taste: whey protein is gross.

Thus, some substitutions are in order. I am going to investigate the functions of these foods in the ABS DIET POWER system and see whether I can find an acceptable alternative. The Abs Diet is similar to the South Beach Diet in that it is based on the glycemic index of foods. Given my tendency to fall asleep after eating, I am very keen to find ways to control my blood sugar so that food provides, instead of sapping, energy.

Stay tuned!

No comments: