Friday, February 22, 2008

A quick whine

I foolishly allowed the phone company to talk me into replacing my DSL modem and router with an all-in-one 2WIRE gateway. It seemed like a good idea at the time; the old SpeedStream modem was always warm to the touch and nearly 5 years old.

The moral of this story is, if it ain't broke, don't spend way too much money to fix it.

Unfortunately, this new combined modem/wireless router is only a wireless router half the time, and I'm at a loss to troubleshoot. All of the settings look proper, but much of the time I can only connect with the network cable. I don't know what I did with the warranty card, as I'm generally bad about remembering to fill out paperwork and take advantage of such things. Since I share my DSL connection with my downstairs neighbor (as in, I gave her the network password), I feel obligated to keep the thing working, but it goes on the blink just about every day. Usually while I'm at work or asleep.

Sigh. If I can't get this figured out I'm going to re-connect the old equipment. It's nothing if not reliable.

No comments: