Sunday, February 10, 2008

Stumped

I'm revising my thesis today. My goal is to be 100% done by the end of the week, if not sooner. So far, it's going well. I am forcing myself to do all the tedious, excruciatingly boring things I allowed myself to skip (e.g. citations, bibliography entries, tables and graphs) while I was writing. That was a bad decision that I will probably not make again, because if I hadn't done that, I would be done already. It's terrible, and I keep revising every sentence because I want this bastard to be perfect. In any case, I really should have just done a big lit review. It would have been so much easier (oddly, the lit review is usually the most dreaded piece of writing these things, but for me it's the most fun part; I suck at conclusions).

But my biggest obstacle is naming the thing. The working title is so bland. It's just like every other social science study title, and having spent time in DC with ed policy folks who are really good at coming up with sexy titles for their reports, I'm inspired to attempt that myself. But "The promise and peril of XYZ" is not what I am going for. I'm also trying to come up with pithy subheadings too.

I'm doomed. I haven't even gotten to the dreaded correlation matrix yet.

No comments: