Thursday, March 20, 2008

Book wars

I don't normally entreat folks to purchase things from a particular store unless it has some social mission attached to it, so I won't start now. But I will note that I heard on NPR today that Borders is considering putting itself up for sale. It is suffering from competition from Barnes & Noble, Walmart and online booksellers, despite aggressive price cuts, discounts and rearranging its stores.

I prefer Borders and have always tried to support the alliance between Amazon and Borders online. Borders has much better rewards and the layout of its stores is far more conducive to reading, studying, communicating and browsing than I've ever found Barnes & Noble (aside from the one in Evanston, IL) to be. It would be sad if Borders were absorbed by B&N. Maybe Amazon will buy them.

No comments: