Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Off-kilter

The time change is wreaking havoc on my  natural circadian rhythms. I'm like a chicken or a cow or some other typical livestock animal: I need light and routine to feel refreshed and ready to face the world every morning. Unfortunately, the time shift has disrupted my routines in unpredictable ways. Given the nature of a lost hour, I would expect that I'd be going to bed later than usual and struggling to wake up in the morning. However, I am instead going to bed later and waking up at 3:30 in the morning, falling back asleep, and waking up again around 5AM. I wonder if the lost productivity caused by everyone's difficulty adjusting to a lost hour is worth the fake savings (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120406767043794825.html) we supposedly get by tacking an extra hour of daylight onto the end of the day.

I'm not averse to the early rising reaction, as I hope to parlay it into serious morning productivity, eventually. Just as soon as I get my bike ready to ride to the gym and then on to work, I'm sure I'll have more positive things to say about the time change. Until then, however, I still really find it stupid that we extended the practice.



No comments: