Sunday, March 02, 2008

Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Last night was the semi-monthly movie night at Chez Matches, where we viewed Airplane!. I love watching spoof movies that I found funny as a kid, again as an adult. There's so much more to appreciate-- particularly the fact that Howard Jarvis plays the passenger waiting in Ted Striker's cab throughout the film.

As always, the post-Oscar season brings a bump in interest and wider distribution for some nominated films. Especially since we here in Sacramento don't get the non-mainstream fare until a few weeks after they've made the rounds in what are considered more cosmopolitan places (e.g. SF, LA, Chicago, DC). I saw Juno in either late November or early December in Georgetown. My coworker saw it last week. I was too busy to check out several films I wanted to see during my final weeks in DC, so I've been waiting for them to get here.

Now, there's a surfeit of good movies in town. Despite my best intentions to see them before the Oscars so I can have an informed opinion regarding the competition, I failed. Thus, I'll be seeing Persepolis, There Will Be Blood, and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly very soon. In addition to the Oscar fare, I also want to check out the latest from Michel Gondry, Be Kind Rewind (and would love to see this related exhibit), the documentary King Corn, and City of Men, which presents another view of the favelas of Rio first introduced in Fernando Mirelles' City of God (one of the best movies, ever).

No comments: