Saturday, April 05, 2008

Small, Cool, Parties too

Every year, Apartment Therapy, the web site (not the book), conducts a contest to determine the coolest small apartments in the land. Last year's finalists included an entry from a Sacramentan. If I were so inclined, I'd attempt myself, but I doubt I can compete. I wish desperately to be artsy and cool in addition to whatever else I wish to be, but I think many folks supersede my design sense. And my carpet is beyond hideous.

I was amused to see that Snoopy's doghouse is one of the entries. Given the opportunity, I will surely vote for it.

In my own efforts to remake my humble abode into a space that is a sanctuary, an inspiring place for creativity, and a welcoming space for friends, I have indeed secured a storage space so that I might have a place to put the mess that will eventually be sorted and organized. Unfortunately, making the time to transfer my piles of junk has been a challenge I have yet to overcome, despite having the entire weekend off.

In my quest to rejigger elements of my upbringing that I find unsatisfactory and contrary to my personal development, it's very important to me that I finally achieve a sense of wellbeing and open invitation in my home such that my friends want to visit. I've lived here for almost two years, and aside from a few movie nights early on, I've rarely had visitors. One of the greatest frustrations of my youth was not being able to have friends over, and once I was older, not having friends who wanted to come hang at my place. I like entertaining and playing hostess, but I rarely have the opportunity. This is one of the things I'd like to be different in my life this year.

No comments: