Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Early birds

Normally, I bounce out of bed sometime between 5:00 and 5:30 AM. I set the alarm just in case, but usually awake prior to its unpleasant screech. I tend to get sleepy around 10:30 or 11:00 the night before, so this is generally plenty of sleep for me (though, my tendency to sleep half the day away every Saturday no matter how hard I try to stay awake has me thinking otherwise). This week, however, my regular schedule has been interrupted: I've found myself groggy and hitting the snooze button. I've been going to bed at my usual time, exercising, eating appropriately, etc., so this is out of character.

I was puzzled by this for about ten minutes before I realized the cause. On Saturday, I purchased a new curtain rod at IKEA for my bedroom window. My goal was to find cloth or curtains made of heavy cloth or reflective material that could keep some of the heat that builds up in my bedroom from getting in. I was successful, able to find a solution for less than $20 total. Unfortunately, there's a secondary effect of this-- and I don't know how I could overlook it. I often joke that I'm like livestock-- up with the sun. Obviously, blocking out all indications that it's morning also makes it harder for me to wake up. So, we'll see if opening the curtains before I go to sleep tonight has any effect on what time I get up tomorrow.

No comments: