Tuesday, July 22, 2008

An idea

I am one of those people with a million items on their to-do list. Too many projects, never enough time. I've been trying to figure out how to limit myself in project proliferation, but my natural tendency to brainstorm makes it challenging. To put it in GTD terms, my someday/maybe list stretches on for several lifetimes.

One of the techniques that productivity hackers advocate for capturing ideas without getting distracted is to keep a notebook on hand at all times and to jot the idea down before returning to the task at hand. This is all fine and dandy as long as the task(s) on deck don't completely swamp free time. But, such as my life is, that is not the case. So, I was thinking that maybe I could design a set of list guides for myself that would incorporate some of these new themes of productivity, like the big rocks I was talking about yesterday and something that would force me to choose from among all my tasks and ideas--to force me to assign some value to them. Who knows, if I do it right, maybe they will be useful to other people as well.

No comments: