Friday, July 25, 2008

Second time around


I am doing something this weekend that I haven't attempted since the summer of 2002: going to the Gilroy Garlic Festival. When I was taking classes between my freshman and sophomore years in college at UC Santa Cruz, I also wanted to go, but since I wasn't even 19, I couldn't convince my roommate's 21+ friends to take me along (because really, Gilroy is probably only a portion of the festivities, especially when you're in college). The second time, my roommate Tara and I attempted to go, but due to construction traffic and the most insanely stupid traffic control measures I have ever seen, I pretty much lost it to road rage and had to just come home. I have never sat on a freeway 100 feet from my offramp for an hour and a half, and that kind of delay is just not something I can tolerate. Or at least it wasn't 6 years ago. I'd like to think that I could busy myself with knitting, reading and conversing with my friends at this point in time. It was just such an unreasonable delay.

Since Gilroy is a million miles from everywhere on a tiny road, (hello, Olive Stand!), we're spending the night in SF with plans to party it up and head out tomorrow morning. If all goes according to plan, I'll be a garlic-stuffed and garlic-stinky chiquita heading home on the train tomorrow night, so you may want to give me a wide berth.

In other goings-on, I've been planning a little birthday dinner for myself at Dad's Kitchen, to which I invited my friends that I won't see at the July 29th Leos bash that is to take place on Friday. I thought about trying for a separate soiree for myself, but I have no time, so I'll probably hold off and do something in my courtyard later on, maybe in September when I'll be in 3 weeks of training at work and pretty bored because I suspect I'll know most of what will get covered, having started the job 8 months earlier. On the other hand, maybe it will be exciting to have some structure to put to what I've been bumbling through lo these many months!

No comments: