Wednesday, July 02, 2008

So far, so good

Me and the BlackBerry have been getting accustomed to each other for a week now, so I feel more able to assess it. Anything I say in criticism of it will sound like something out of White Whine, but here goes anyway.

If my original plan was to get an iPhone, I can certainly make the case for forgoing it: the BlackBerry is cheaper and has a full QWERTY keyboard, wihch I know I'll prefer to the iPhone's touch screen. In addition, no greasy screen from talking and typing. The BB allows me to blog from the bus (as I am doing right now), twitter, text, call people, go hands free on the bike and in the car.

My biggest beefs are with the OS design (I wouldn't mind a separate place for text messages) and the incredible slowness of the EDGE network. While faster than my old dell axim on wifi, it still times out a lot and doesn't load my rememberthemilk.com (for which there is a BB application) a lot of the time. So, I guess I'll still consider the new iPhone, but I really hope someone does a thorough side-by-side comparison, post-haste.

No comments: