Thursday, July 10, 2008

The wheels on the bus

Lately, I have noticed significant variation among the smoothness of my bus rides. I generally ride the same two routes, at the same times of day. The buses are either the sort where all the seats are level or the kind where the back seats are raised. I tend to sit in the back in both types.

I'm not certain of the cause, but I know that the bus driver who runs the 7:35 bus has spoiled me. One of my greatest annoyances about bus riding is how herky-jerky it is. It's as if bus drivers rush between stops, slamming to halt at a stop, only to thrust away from the curb once riders have been collected and/or deposited. By contrast, the good driver drives much more smoothly, slowing to a stop at lights and stops, gradually sidling up to the railroad tracks and gliding over them so as not to dishevel the passengers. This driver is a master at what he does. He's probably also saving fuel. RT should study him and encourage his fellow drivers to follow his lead.

No comments: