Thursday, October 16, 2008

Register to Vote!

I recently learned a whole lot about county elections. As a result, I feel qualified to offer answers to common questions about voting on election day. I also think that the general election is going to be a clusterf@&k, if only because turnout could be very high, and there are eleventy propositions on the ballot.

Something I've heard a lot recently is that it's too late to register, and that is simply false. A quick visit to the California Secretary of State web site reveals that voting in this election requires that a voter registration form be postmarked by October 20, 2008. That means there are four more days to fill out a form and drop it by the post office. Or the local county elections office directly.

Similarly, people who wish to vote by mail and avoid the craziness at the polls have until the 28th of October to request a vote by mail ballot. They must be received by the county elections office on Election Day or returned to any polling location in the county on Election Day.

Now that I've equipped you with knowledge on getting registered and the appropriate ballot, I'll turn my attention to the ballot itself in coming days.

No comments: