Saturday, October 11, 2008

Songs for a Saturday

I used to highlight a few songs on Fridays, and I called the feature "FriTunes."

Most of the time, the songs were new, because I had plenty of time to mine new releases for gems. The past few years I've noticed a tendency to search for old tunes rather than new ones. So, instead of putting pressure on myself to do original research, I'm going to create a new playlist every Saturday from my existing iTunes library.

Today's playlist is called "Hot Shit," and it contains the following:

1. Raphael Saadiq - 100 Yard Dash
2. Solomon Burke - Everybody Needs Someone to Love
3. The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup
4. Beck - Gamma Ray
5. Kanye West - Love Lockdown
6. Justin Timberlake - Lovestoned/I Think She Knows Interlude
7. Blur - Parklife
8. Bobby Hebb - Sunny
9. Dusty Springfield - You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
10. Detroit Cobras - Nothing But a Heartache

I really like listening to it. It's very old-school. I am particularly enamored of the Raphael Saadiq tune, which has a great driving melody. The rest of that album, The Way I See It, is good, but so aligned with the 60s/70s soul and r&b that inspired it that it almost sounds like long-lost b-sides from Smokey and the Miracles. Which is at times disconcerting because it lacks the sonic warbles of old recordings. I admit that the inclusion of Parklife is a bit of a non sequitur, but it fits my mood for the weekend, which is four days long thanks to a certain Christopher Columbus.

No comments: