Wednesday, November 05, 2008

So many things to say, no time to think

I should have been more prepared for this moment. A black man, biracial at that, is the president-elect. And with a resounding victory.

I should be more excited about it, too. It's been difficult for me to relish the victory because of the result on prop 8, which rolled in shortly after the polls closed, tightened, but did not flip.

We elected a guy whose parents would not have been allowed to marry in many places 50 years ago. And then we took away that right for other people. Again.
I couldn't figure out why I was getting pro-prop 8 robocalls. But I have a feeling it's because I'm black. Or at least that's what I put on many documents that ask me, since they still don't allow for mixed racial designations.

So I suppose that, on this note at least, my feelings are like my heritage: mixed.


No comments: